Sunday, May 12, 2013

Andes (9°42'10.21"S 76°56'27.81"W)


Sorry I didn’t write yesterday I took a long nap and then I did a little shopping. Today is my last day here then I have one last stop before I arrive home.

The Andes are located on the Nazca plate and run along the west coast of South America. The Nazca plate is a divergent boundary but is specifically called a subduction boundary. Subduction is when two plates converge together the less dense plate drops under the other plate. A trench (deep sea trench) is a feature of a subduction boundary. In this case it is the Nazca plate subducted underneath the South American plate. After the two plates join, the trench comes along with a chain of volcanoes over the overriding plate.


http://blue.utb.edu/paullgj/physci1417/Lectures/Plate_Tectonics.html

 I have to be at the airport in about an hour and a half, so I’ll see you in the last country.

 

1 comment:

  1. I really like how you created a back story to your writing, and your science was very clear to understand. You also chose a very cool picture to go along with your writing and your design is very cool! NS

    ReplyDelete